Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Love A Rainy Night

I love to hear the thunder, watch the lightning when it lights up the sky.
You know it makes me feel good!

It’s been a nice week with a welcome rain. It’s been cool for April, with highs in the 60s, another chance to wear a sweater.


I love the rain. It doesn’t rain much here so when it does, it’s a big deal. The news is telling people how to prevent flooding. The police are telling people not to drive if it looks like the water is too deep; Turn Around…Don’t Drown. Umbrellas are being used for the first time in months. And where I am the frogs are singing!

The frogs hang out at the pond and when it rains the songs begin. The sounds are interesting. There are loud sounds, like pigs grunting and low sounds like someone rubbing their hand across an inflated balloon. There are sounds like snoring and sounds that are a chirping, whirring, constant sound. It’s a frog choir! There’s nothing that sounds like it.

Another great thing about the rain is the rainbows. Oftentimes there are double and even triple rainbows. Sometimes you can see both ends and sometimes they just float off into the sky. You have to be quick out here to get a picture because you can look one minute and then when you look again, the rainbow is gone.

Rainbows always look so close, like you could drive or walk to it. And the end of the rainbow, where the pot of gold is supposed to be, sometimes seems to be right in the back yard! According to physics, there really is no end to a rainbow. Rainbows are actually full circles. The ground gets in the way and we can’t see the complete circle. There is probably no pot of gold, either. An Irish fable says a leprechaun granted a wish to a couple who was very poor. They wished for riches of silver and gold. This made the leprechaun angry because he thought they were selfish. So he told them he put all the riches in a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Supposedly the couple is still looking for the end of the rainbow to this day. Another legend says that angels put the gold at the end of the rainbow. Only a nude man could obtain the prize. Hmmm…. But since we all know a man would never ask directions there’s no hope for that! And what does nude have to do with it?

The Discovery Channel says two people can never see the same rainbow. Because the eyes of two people can’t occupy the same place in space at the same time, each person will see a different rainbow. This is because the raindrops are constantly in motion so its appearance is always changing. Every time you see a rainbow, it is unique. So how did they figure that one out?

After the rain there is such a peaceful feeling. It doesn’t matter if it was a quick shower or a big storm. There was one and a half inches in the rain gauge. Almost instantly everything is so green! The grass and trees, well what we call trees, all look pretty. More wild flowers will bloom overnight. Everyone will sneeze with allergies again!


This week the rain influenced my moods. For my knit a year, the night before it rained, when it was a bit cloudy, the sunset with the clouds made the sky kind of purple. It was such a peaceful feeling and I picked purple wool. The next day it started to rain. I chose a blue and green yarn for the rain. It rained all day and was a good day, driving in the rain and then hearing it through the night. The morning brought a day of training then the drive back, again in the rain. It was another good day with good company and we saw a rainbow. I didn’t get to take a picture but I did pick a rainbow ribbon yarn for the day. After a rainy night the grass and trees seemed especially green. It was a new day, a day of spring with new beginnings, and new growth. This was a day filled with hope and the bright green yarn I picked was for the hopeful way I was feeling. Then there was the pot of gold. I was thankful today, for the things I have and am able to do. I don’t need to wish for a pot of gold to have these riches. I added the gold yarn for that pot of gold and to remind myself of all the riches I already have. The forecast doesn’t call for rain tomorrow. But the traces of the rain remain. And the sun is always a reminder that after the rain is a rainbow and the promise of something new.


Showers washed all my cares away.
I wake up to a sunny day
Puts a smile on my face every time.

3 comments:

  1. Love your knit a year. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beverly! It's been fun. You should start one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right.I should start one...but I'm not into my feelings enough to know what to knit every day! Really.

    ReplyDelete