Saturday, August 25, 2012

Magical Mystery Tour

Roll up, roll up for the magical mystery tour, step right this way... 

Monday afternoon, and it’s destination Amsterdam. My oldest son, Bryce, is graduating with his master’s degree in geophysical engineering. He’s been in a two year program over there, The Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany. When he departed we had plans to go see him. Life happens and plans change and now it is the end of his journey there and we are just now going to visit. But at least we are able to go!
The holiday won’t be as long as we would have liked. In fact, it’s going to be a whirlwind trip! But fun, it will be! We’re renting a car to drive around and do whatever we want, when we want. We’ll fill every minute with an experience to remember.

There’s not really a plan. It would be more like an outline if anything. We arrive 28 August (how do you like my European style?) early morning in Amsterdam. From there, by car, we’ll go to Hamburg. We could go by train but he’s offered to drive. That way, we can stop anywhere along the way as the urge strikes. Admittedly the train would be an adventure so hopefully we’ll get that chance too. He resides in Hamburg so with any luck we’ll stay at his place and not have to sleep in the car! (I’m joking but as a mother it is my duty to worry about such things.) 29 August we’ll hang out in Hamburg, maybe have a hamburger, and explore. (I don’t know if they even have hamburgers. But it sounded good.)

30 August we’re going from Hamburg to Delft. It’s probably six or seven hours of driving between the two. That’s nothing because where we live out here in West Texas it’s that far to anywhere! And think of the sights along the way!

31 August is graduation day in Delft! How exciting! It’s a celebration of all his hard work. The ceremony will be held in the morning. The rest of the day will be spent discovering Delft. 1 September, we’ll continue in Delft, head to Rotterdam, and sightsee in Den Haag. 2 September we’ll go from Delft back to Amsterdam and spend the rest of the day Amsterdamming! (That’s Bryce’s word and I know it will be an adventure!)
If those are our seats we're close to the bathroom at least.

All too soon, it’s going to be 3 September and we’ll get on the plane for the 10 hour flight back to the states. I have a feeling there may be sleeping involved! Too soon, life returns to normal. Well, as normal as it gets anyway! It will be back to work with all the daily drama and problems that entails. Bryce isn’t flying back with us. He has to wrap up some loose ends and will come back a week or so later.

I’m excited and getting more anxious by the minute! I better go pack soon because I know I’ll end up forgetting something important. Before I know it the magic will begin!

The magical mystery tour is coming to take you away... 

My sweet son is looking to see where yarn shops are when we are on our trip. Not too many boys would think of that! But he knows me well. I did have to think about what to bring and wonder whether the nice people at the airport will want to keep my good knitting needles or not. I don’t think there’s a problem leaving from here. It’s coming back I’m worried about! Who knows? I might not even have time to knit. But sitting in planes, trains and automobiles makes me want to keep my hands busy, so I’ll be ready, just in case.

I finished the surprise for the scarf swap I’ve been working on. It will be in the mail before I leave, heading to some (lucky?) recipient who says she likes red!






I haven’t received mine yet so I have something to look forward to when I return.

I am ready for a vacation, however short it will be. Now do I have my passport? ;)

Roll up GOT EVERYTHING YOU NEED, roll up for the mystery tour...

No comments:

Post a Comment